Spousal Support Lawyers in Lafayette Fighting for You
Going through a divorce is as stressful as it is expensive. Doran & Cawthorne provide the representation you need in court to get you the financial support you deserve. Representation from our spousal support lawyers in Lafayette helps you get the type of financial support necessary for you to continue your life after divorce.
Types of Spousal Support
In Louisiana, two types of spousal support can be awarded in the courts:
- Interim Periodic Support
- Final Periodic Support
Interim Periodic Support
The purpose of this type of spousal support is to provide a recipient with sufficient funds to maintain the standard of living that they became accustomed to during the marriage. This temporary support gives a spouse an adjustment period so they can get back on their feet.
Final Periodic Support
This type of support is meant to last for a significant period of time. It can be reduced or terminated in the event of a circumstantial change for either spouse.
To get this type of spousal support, a spouse has to prove:
- That he or she is free from fault before the filing of a proceeding to terminate the marriage
- That he or she is in need of support
The amount of spousal support that a spouse may receive depends on several factors, including:
- Living expenses of each spouse
- Income and assets of each spouse
- Debts owed
- Spouse’s ability to earn a given wage
- Their availability to work is affected by child care responsibilities
- How long it will take to educate or train an individual to enable them to go back to work
- The health and age of each spouse
Call the Spousal Support Lawyers at Doran & Cawthorne
With over 30 years of experience, Doran & Cawthorne has handled hundreds of family law cases in Lafayette. Our lawyers are dedicated to helping you get the support you not only need but deserve so that you can move forward in life. Call Doran & Cawthorne today to schedule a consultation.